Shaving for men with sensitive skin can get downright nasty: nicks and cuts, razor burn, inflammation, ingrown hairs. Tons of people offer suggestions, but good intentions from non-experts tend to make the problem worse. The only thing keeping you from enjoying a close, comfortable shave every morning is knowing the proper shaving routine for your skin type—and a key behind that is eliminating myths and misconceptions about shaving best practices. We’re not saying to disregard everything your old man taught you, but we are suggesting that you leave skincare advice to the experts.
The perfect shave for sensitive skin starts and ends here:
1) Cleanse: Clean skin is the catalyst behind every close, comfortable shave—no matter the skin type. That’s because dirt, oil, and dead skin cells act as a barrier between your blade and your facial hair, which can cause irritation and razor drag. Prepping your skin with a gentle two-in-one cleanser and toner like Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser leaves your skin clean, hydrated, and fresh by harnessing the power of natural ingredients, including Organic Chamomile and Aloe Leaf that help to soothe and oat- and coconut-derived, sulfate-free surfactants that work to cleanse.
2) Cushion: Razors are tough on your face—and that little lubricating strip you’ll find on drugstore razors is not going to cut it. It’s imperative for all men, and especially those with sensitive skin, hydrate and nourish the skin in order to help maintain a sufficient barrier between your skin and the blade. Using MP 10™ Nourishing Oil as a pre-shave oil helps do just that. The 10 nourishing oils in MP 10™ work to help protect the skin, soften whiskers and help prevent painful dryness that can result from shaving.
3) Lather + Lift: For closeness without irritation, your blade needs cushion. Use a rich, creamy lather like our Supreme Cream Triple Cushion® Shave Lather to condition skin and help lift whiskers. Applying the lather (ideally with our cruelty-free Pure Performance® Shave Brush) helps skin retain moisture, while Macadamia Nut Oil, Glycerin, and Soybean Oil deliver three layers of protection against razor burn, irritation, and nicks and cuts.
4) Shave: Shave experts and dermatologists agree that the ideal shaving tool for men with sensitive skin is a single-blade razor like our German-engineered Double Edge Safety Razor. Multi-blade cartridges have a tendency to pull facial hair up in order to cut it below the level where it meets the skin, which can cause irritation as well as razor bumps. Our specially crafted handle is weighted perfectly, alleviating the need for additional pressure and helping to prevent razor burn and bumps. To ensure maximum comfort, shave immediately after showering.
5) Post Shave: One of the most effective ways to help prevent redness and heal irritated skin is to apply an alcohol-free after-shave product like our Post Shave Cooling Gel. This soothing gel uses Aloe and other natural ingredients that help soothe and calm sensitive skin.
Allow yourself time to properly treat and condition the skin before and after you shave. We know that asking you to wake up a few minutes earlier may seem like we’re asking a lot. But we’re pretty sure you’ll agree that a pain-free shave is worth sacrificing one tap of the Snooze button.